Solid State Physics Homework
- Homework #1 (due Friday, Jan. 27) Simon, problem #3.1 (Drude model, static and dynamic), 4.1a-c (Fermiology)
- Homework #2 (due Friday, Feb. 3) Simon, problem #4.2 (Electron velocities), 4.4c (Relativistic electron DOS), 4.7 (Electron gas bulk modulus)
- Homework #3 (due Friday, Feb. 10)
Ashcroft & Mermin, pp. 25-26, problem #1.2 (Joule heating) and 1.3 (Thomson effect)
- Homework #4 (due Monday, Feb. 27) Simon, 2.3 (2D Debye theory), 2.4 (Debye temperatures), 2.5 (Debye temperature of diamond)
- Homework #5 (due Wednesday, March 8) Thermal conductivity
- Homework #6 (due Friday, March 24) Simon 9.2 (normal modes), 9.4 (decaying waves), 9.5 (reflection at interface)
- Homework #7 (due Friday, March 31) Simon 6.3 (ionic-covalent bond), 11.5a (electronic impurity state)
- Homework #8 (due Friday, April 7) Simon 23.1 parts a and b (Itinerant ferromagnetism, warmup). Compare the 5/3 power law with your result in problem 4.7a.
- Homework #9 (due Wednesday, April 19) Simon 13.1 (reciprocals to BCC and FCC lattices), 13.3 (lattice plane direction and spacing), 14.3 (extinctions in x-ray diffraction), 14.4 (neutron diffraction)
- Homework #10 (due Friday, April 28) Simon 15.4 (Square lattice, nearly free electrons). Note: the vectors labeled G in the statement of the problem should instead be labeled k.
- Homework #11 (due Friday, May 5) Simon 16.2 (2D Fermi surfaces in tight binding approximation), 17.4 (electron energy density, note this is in the conduction band), 18.4 (heterojunction electron gas, note the problem should state Ec2 < Ec1)
- Optional computer exercise (no credit) See instructions to create band structures, densities of states and Fermi surfaces of Li, Mg and Al using density functional theory (Wien2k)
Note: sample exams use different text and topic sequence!
- Midterm #1 Monday, Feb. 20, in class (Sample 2011, 2016)
- Midterm #2 Monday, March 27, in class (Sample 2011, 2016)
- Midterm #3 Wednesday, April 26, in class (Sample 2009, 2016)
- Final Exam Friday, May 12, 5:30-8:30, Wean 7316 (Sample 2011, 2016)