QUANTUM I Lecture Coverage
- Monday, Aug. 26, Classical and quantum physics: Phase space and Hilbert space
- Wednesday, Aug. 28, Special operators, Physical properties and physical variables (notes)
- Friday, Sept. 30, Quantum properties. Examples: spin half and motion in 1-D. Born rule for probability
- Friday, Sept. 30 PM, Quantum reasoning. Negation, conjunction, incompatibility
- Monday, Sept. 2, Labor Day, no class
- Wednesday, Sept. 4, Prof. out of town, no class
- Friday, Sept. 6, Composite systems and tensor products I. Definitions and mathematics
- Friday, Sept. 6, PM, HW collection and discussion. Composite systems and tensor products II. Examples and conceptual issues
- Monday, Sept. 9, Unitary dynamics. Time-development operators.
Connection with Schrodinger equation and Hamiltonian. Born rule
for probabilities (notes)
- Wednesday, Sept. 11, Two level systems, Bloch sphere and Pauli matrices.
- Friday, Sept. 13, Time dependence of spin 1/2 in constant magnetic field.
- Friday, Sept. 13 PM, HW discussion, Spin 1/2 in time-varying magnetic field.
- Monday, Sept. 16, Spin 1/2 in time-varying field continued.
- Wednesday, Sept. 18, No class, Prof. out of town.
- Friday, Sept. 20, Toy model of one-dimensional motion, including detector. Probabilities and random variables.
- Friday, Sept. 20 PM, HW discussion, Averages of random variables. Density operator.
- Monday, Sept. 23, Multivariate probabilities.
- Wednesday, Sept. 25, Stochastic processes, Markov processes
- Friday, Sept. 27, Multiple time histories
- Friday, Sept. 27 PM, Compatibility of histories, logical combinations
- Monday, Sept. 30, Multitime Born rule, example histories
- Wednesday, Oct. 2, Beam splitter
- Friday, Oct. 4, Measurement
- Friday, Oct. 4 PM, Exam review,
- Monday, Oct. 7, Midterm exam #1
- Wednesday, Oct. 9, Successive measurements
- Friday, Oct. 11, destructive measurement, double slit interference
- Friday, Oct. 11 PM, No afternoon class
- Monday, Oct. 14, Mach Zehnder interferometer
- Wednesday, Oct. 16, Infinite dimensional Hilbert space
- Friday, Oct. 18, No class, Midsemester break
- Monday, Oct. 21, Translation and momentum operator
- Wednesday, Oct. 23, Eigenstates of position and momentum
- Friday, Oct. 25, Heisenberg inequality.
- Friday, Oct. 25 PM, Free particle motion. Wave packet spreading. Step boundary conditions.
- Monday, Oct. 28, Probability current. Incident and reflected waves.
- Wednesday, Oct. 30, Square well bound states
- Friday, Nov. 1, Reflection and transmission of square well.
- Friday, Nov. 1 PM, No PM class
- Monday, Nov. 4, Guest lecture Prof. Feenstra, Tunneling. Periodic potentials
- Wednesday, Nov. 6, Guest lecture Prof. Feenstra, Band structure of periodic delta function potentials.
- Friday, Nov. 8, Harmonic oscillator via creation and anihilation operators.
- Friday, Nov. 8 PM, Evolution of expectation values
- Monday, Nov. 11, Applications of HO to molecular IR and Raman spectroscopy. Charged oscillator in field.
- Wednesday, Nov. 13, Coupled oscillators. Linear chain.
- Friday, Nov. 15, Exam AM
- Friday, Nov. 15 PM, No class, Prof. out of town.
- Monday, Nov. 18, Phonons
- Wednesday, Nov. 20, Class Thermal equilibrium and blackbody radiation
- Friday, Nov. 22, Class AM Spectrum of angular momentum operator
- Friday, Nov. 22, Class PM Matrix representations. Spherical harmonics.
- Monday, Nov. 25, Rotations.
- Wednesday, Nov. 28, No Class, Thanksgiving
- Friday, Nov. 30, No class, Thanksgiving
- Friday, Nov. 30 PM, No class, Thanksgiving
- Monday, Dec. 3, Guest lecture Prof. Suter, Rotation of observables. 2D Harmonic Oscillator.
- Wednesday, Dec. 5, Guest lecture Prof. Suter, Charged particle in magnetic field.
- Friday, Dec. 7, Hydrogen atom.
- Friday, Dec. 7 PM, Coulomb degeneracy. Hybrid orbitals.
- Tuesday, Dec. 10, 5:30-8:30pm, 5409 Wean Hall