Solid State Lecture Coverage
Actual daily topics
- Monday, August 28, Classical kinetic theory of electrical conductivity and Hall effect.
- Wednesday, August 30, Electronic density of states and Fermi energy.
- Friday, Sept. 1, Electronic heat capacity.
- Monday, Sept. 4, Labor Day, no class
- Wednesday, Sept. 6, Charged particle in B field (Special guest lecturer, Di Xiao)
- Friday, Sept. 8, Landau levels and quantum Hall effect (Special guest lecturer, Ben Hunt)
- Monday, Sept. 11, Pauli paramagnetism
- Wednesday, Sept. 13, Thermal conductivity of metals
- Friday, Sept. 15, AC conductivity
- Monday, Sept. 18, Elastic stress and strain. Discuss homework and reading
- Wednesday, Sept. 20, Voigt notation, elastic stability, bulk and shear modulus
- Friday, Sept. 22, Sound waves
- Monday, Sept. 25, Phonons (quanta of sound). Discuss homework and reading
- Wednesday, Sept. 27, Debye model density of states, heat capacity
- Friday, Sept. 29, Phonon anharmonicity and thermal conductivity
- Monday, Oct. 2, Ultrasound, Raman and Brillouin scattering. Discuss homework and reading
- Wednesday, Oct. 4, Midterm exam #1
- Friday, Oct. 6, Phenomenology of BCS superconductivity
- Monday, Oct. 9, Ginzburg-Landau theory and flux quantization
- Wednesday, Oct. 11, Penetration depth and critical fields
- Friday, Oct. 13, No class, Prof. out of town
- Monday, Oct. 16, Crystal lattices and atomic structure
- Wednesday, Oct. 18, Bragg's law of diffraction, Fourier transform
- Friday, Oct. 20, Midsemester break, no class
- Monday, Oct. 23, Patterson function. Reciprocal lattice
- Wednesday, Oct. 25, Laue diffraction condition and Brillouin zones, Diffraction from lattice with basis
- Friday, Oct. 27, Vibrations of one-dimensional chain. Group velocity
- Monday, Oct. 30, Diatomic chain, optical phonons
- Wednesday, Nov. 1, Bloch theorem. Linear combination of atomic orbitals
- Friday, Nov. 3, Electronic tight binding 1-D, 2-D, graphene
- Monday, Nov. 6, Multi orbital atoms and multi atom chains, band filling
- Wednesday, Nov. 8, Bloch theorem rederived. Nearly free electron model
- Friday, Nov. 10, No class, CMU anniversary
- Monday, Nov. 13, Extended, periodic and reduced zone models. Peierls instability.
- Wednesday, Nov. 15, Midterm exam #2
- Friday, Nov. 17, Hubbard model
- Monday, Nov. 20, Heisenberg exchange. Itinerant (anti)ferromagnetism
- Wednesday, Nov. 22, Thanksgiving break, no class
- Friday, Nov. 24, Thanksgiving break, no class
- Monday, Nov. 27, Interacting Fermi gas. Hartree and Fock. Exchange energy.
- Wednesday, Nov. 29, Correlation (screening) energy. Density functional theory.
- Friday, Dec. 1, Effective mass, electrons and holes
- Monday, Dec. 4, Fermi surfaces electron/hole orbits
- Wednesday, Dec. 6, Intrinsic and doped semiconductors
- Friday, Dec. 10, pn junction devices
- Tuesday, December 12, 1-4pm