Solid State Lecture Coverage
Actual daily topics
- Monday, August 28, Classical kinetic theory of electrical conductivity and Hall effect.
- Wednesday, August 30, Electronic density of states and Fermi energy.
- Friday, Sept. 1, Electronic heat capacity.
- Monday, Sept. 4, Labor Day, no class
- Wednesday, Sept. 6, Charged particle in B field (Special guest lecturer, Di Xiao)
- Friday, Sept. 8, Landau levels and quantum Hall effect (Special guest lecturer, Ben Hunt)
- Monday, Sept. 11, Pauli paramagnetism
- Wednesday, Sept. 13, Thermal conductivity of metals
- Friday, Sept. 15, AC conductivity
- Monday, Sept. 18, Elastic stress and strain. Discuss homework and reading
- Wednesday, Sept. 20, Voigt notation, elastic stability, bulk and shear modulus
- Friday, Sept. 22, Sound waves
- Monday, Sept. 25, Phonons (quanta of sound). Discuss homework and reading
- Wednesday, Sept. 27, Debye model density of states, heat capacity
- Friday, Sept. 29, Thermal conductivity of insulators
- Monday, Oct. 2, Raman and Brillouin scattering. Discuss homework and reading
- Wednesday, Oct. 4, Phenomenology of BCS superconductivity
- Friday, Oct. 6, Ginzburg-Landau theory and flux quantization
Friday, Nov. 10, No class, CMU anniversary
- Monday, Oct. 9, Crystal lattices and atomic structure
- Wednesday, Oct. 11,
- Friday, Oct. 13, No class, Midsemester break